Life and Death: Nature's two-edged sword Blogging Pays!! Another BlogNigeria Member Just Withdrew His Cash To Bank - SEE
SCHOLARSHIP -  Learn Blogging From Novice To Pro Blogger Free
CASH -   BlogNigeria Referral System - Earn 35,000 Naira Daily For Life
DISCUSSION - Everything About BlogNIgeria Blogging Hub

Hello There, Guest!

Hey!!   Post New Article Here >>>

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AMAZING  Life and Death: Nature's two-edged sword

Growing up, I have often been told to be bold and 'take the bull by the horn', but now, I think the amusement is neither pleasant nor profitable. Let those who are so cracked up experience a poke with the horns and see if it is worth the trouble. Some people like heroics; I don’t envy their choice for I’d sooner walk ten miles to get out of a scrap than walk a yard to get into one. I just can’t afford to die now; it’ll certainly wreck my image (if there ever was one!). And if it amuses you to see me as cowardly though, you are as free and as welcome for I have not a soft skin.
Meanwhile, perhaps we could look at this image of death itself as one answer to the mystery of life, as in, the futility of pleasure and the certainty of death. The Buddha on his sick bed, after decades of teachings, declared to his disciples, “…seek insight with diligence. These are my last words!” The Buddha understood this insight to be sought through reflection of the transience of life, on the inevitability of pain and sorrow, and in the midst of that, to approach this carnival called existence with a mind that knows that pain and pleasure, joy and sorrow, go together and succeed each other. Within that context, one should strive to understand what the whole circus show is really about.
"Life is short!” may be looked upon as a common cliché, but the older one gets the more factual and painful it becomes. The human life span is however a mere blink of an eye in the time scale of the earth's history, as death like a dreamless sleep snuffed out our consciousness forever perhaps. In just a few years I have seen the demise of friends and associates. A skeptic might ask, ‘why does a life that ends have meaning?’ The proneness to decay of all that is beautiful and perfect can give rise to this impulse in the mind. The underlying assumption behind the claim that life is meaningless because it ends in death is that, for something to be meaningful or worthwhile it must last forever. The fact that many of the things we value (such as relationships with other and activities that we find worthwhile like working on a project or raising a child) do not last forever shows that life does not need to be everlasting to be meaningful. For a sick person in the hospital, a doctor’s effort to alleviate pain certainly does matter despite the fact that ‘in the end’ both the doctor and the patient (and ultimately all lives in the universe) will die.
From time immemorial, the human race has been obsessed with the idea of immortality. From theories of a soul outliving the physical form, to tales of fountains and elixirs which make one physically immortal, It seems that the human survival instincts exceeds its current longevity. What is it about the idea of Human immortality that has the human race so spellbound? Have we ever considered what the abysmal value of an infinite life would be? It appears to me that many immortal people would eventually commit suicide. What would not be boring in you after 1,000 years? And perhaps our cultural taboos about assisted suicide and euthanasia will have to change in the wake of such development. Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha and other man-gods are all immortal, though not present in their mortal frames but their ideals and Teachings are incorporated in every discourse on ethics and morality, in every book sacred or otherwise. It is however ironic that so many people have missed this point given that Albert Camus 'THE MYTH OF SISYPHUS' presents Sisyphus eternal punishment as the archetype of meaningless existence. It shows that the duration of our lives has nothing to do with their meaningfulness. In the Greek mythology, Sisyphus is punished by the gods for cheating death by being forced to roll a heavy stone to the top of a hill. Just as the stone is about to reach the top of the hill, it rolls back down to the plain. Sisyphus is doomed to repeat this meaningless activity for eternity.
Thus, it shows the value of life itself lies in its rarity. And because birth and death are inevitable, the most important stage of life being the middle one: the quest for companionship, friendship, and love. These we have some degree of control over but we are powerless to stem the advance of time. We have all heard of people who were told by their doctors that they had a short time to live. They are usually advised to “make the most” of the time left. This is because the value of each day has just increased due to its new status as a rare commodity. Albert Einstein’s life as a scientist has meaning to us, but his life as a father, husband, and friend had different meanings to those close to him. Therefore there is a point in developing character and increasing knowledge before death overtakes us: to provide peace of mind and intellectual satisfaction to our lives and to the lives of those we care about for their own sake because pursuing these goals enriches our lives. These considerations show that we must create our own meaning for our lives regardless of whether or not our lives serve some higher purpose. Whether our lives are meaningful to us depends on how we judge them. Perhaps the secret to a meaningful life is to focus on those desires which we can fulfill and diminish those which we cannot—provided that we know the difference between the two.

Share This: